The Junior Network Administrator reports to the Network Manager and is a member of the Network Development Team. He or she assists Team members with support, maintenance and optimization of core network services, devices, and communications systems.
He or she works alongside senior Network Team members to provide logistical support, respond to queries, document changes, and assist with testing, assessment, diagnosis and resolution of network service outages and incidents. Under the direct supervision of the Network Manager, he or she maintains network systems and may configure devices, enable services or respond to end user requests for network status information. The Network Administrator participates in informal and formal network learning opportunities and may travel on an as needed basis.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the guidance of the Manager of Technical Services the individual will be responsible for:
- performs diagnostics of network issues, provides support for service desk staff.
- updates and maintains network documentation, assigns ip addresses, saves device configurations.
- configures network devices for new deployments per direction of senior staff, configures replacement network devices from backup configuration files.
- assists with the administration and maintenance of IP based telephony systems, such as provisioning handsets, setting up extensions, supporting user requests.
- assists in supporting network servers and internal corporate servers.
- assists in user desktop issues, helps with computer software installation, solves email access and routing issues, assists with desktop backup and archiving.
- for day to day operational tasks such as proactive maintenance, management, monitoring performance, incident and problem management, security, and backup and recovery across the network infrastructure.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Provides timely and accurate response to assigned tasks
- Demonstrates capacity to adapt and learn in a dynamic work environment
- Manages time effectively and responds to requests to work flexible hours
- Is punctual and regularly attends work
- University degree or college diploma in computing or information technology or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Three years’ experience working as a Network Administrator for a medium to large enterprise with complex technology environments.
- Working knowledge of computer systems, peripherals, and communications equipment.
- Working knowledge of computer networking and cabling infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of communication systems for data, voice and video.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment to resolve issues and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and under own initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively with KO employees as well as vendors and suppliers.
- Ability to write documentation and training materials.
- Self motivated to learn and acquire new skills.
- Poses excellent problem solving skills.
- Understands industry standard safety practices and procedures for electrical/electronic equipment and hazardous material exposure.
Experience in a majority of specific skills:
- Understands issues involved in administering and maintaining corporate LAN infrastructure, including network cabling, testing network connectivity, firewall configurations, tablet and desktop internet applications, etc.
- Understands issues involved in administering and maintaining corporate WAN infrastructure, backhaul technologies, WAN and Internet routing protocols, etc.
- Understands network address management concepts, including IP sub-netting.
- Has knowledge of traditional POTS systems, including voice and fax.
- Understands Voice over IP systems, including PBX systems based on Asterisk telephony software.
- Familiar with common VoIP protocols including H.323, SIP, IAX.
- Server Administration
- Has working knowledge of major server operating systems, including but not limited to Linux and Windows Server versions.
- Has working knowledge of virtualization platforms, including VMware vSphere.
- Has working knowledge of common webhosting environments, including LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- Familiar with enterprise data storage solutions utilizing iSCSI, NFS, and similar technologies.
- Proficient at administering common network services, such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.
- Familiar with common programming languages, including C, perl, bash, PHP.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Responsibilities may require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Regular travel is required.